Thursday, November 16, 2006

First Report from Andavadoka

We arrived here the other day by camion and it was quite an adventure, 12 hours on the back of this truck in the heat but I had plenty of water and we had a few stops so it wasn't as bad as I was expecting.
we arrived here for sunset and all the kids in the village started running behind the truck. The camp is great. I am sharing my hut with Emma and although it is basic it is enough in this environment: plugs and shower in the room, electricity from 4pm to 10pm (I think it's a bit of a luxury:)
Half Moon beach and the steps to reach it are just outside our hut: it is an idillic view!!! It is a shame you are not here I think you would really like it. Everybody on the expedition is really nice.
Yesterday I tried my first bit of clorinated water. It was like drinking bleach... After 3 neutralising tablets it was OK but today I put a vitamin C tablet in an it was even better. I ended up washing my teeth with the orange potion which was a bit strange but it it was decent.
Food so far it's been really great. We have a local family who lives on site and cooks for us. We have a restaurant hut with glorious views across two bays.
We haven't started diving yet. We have gone through a lot of briefings and evac procedures for our own safety and we have a number of chores that are assigned on rotation to teams of 4. Normally we should start diving tomorrow but our diving manager is ill. We will be going to visit the islands offshore though and do some snorkelling there. On health side I think I have been very careful and very lucky: so far so good but I expect that montezuma revenge may strike at any moment :)

Ros.

2 Comments:

At 2:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you. Hope you have got your luggage by now! Look forward to hearing more and also seeing photos later.
Love Angela and John.

 
At 4:53 pm, Blogger Flipper said...

Sound blumin exciting.. I loom forward to hearing stories from the deep when you get to do all your diving. Alex

 

Post a Comment

<< Home